Vegan Chili con Veggies
Long time no post, it's been almost two years! Tempus sure does fugit, don't it!
This is a vegan chili recipe, that I adapted from one on Epicurious. One thing that they don't specify in the other recipe is about the bulgar. Bulgar is a wheat groat that has been boiled and dried, it's used a lot in middle eastern and east European dishes. It has a sort of meat-like quality when it's added to this and other dishes, but if you cook it too long, it gets a bit mealy. So, cook the 1/2 cup of bulgar, according to the package directions, then just add it at the end. Bulgar is usually found in the grocery aisle with wild rice, quinoa, spelt, millet and other weird grains.
I am not vegan, but I am really making a concerted effort to consume less meat in my diet. I am a committed omnivore. Don't judge.
Anyway, I really like this. The barbeque sauce adds a nice sweetness.
1 T, Sunflower Oil
· 1 Onion, chopped
· 1 cup Carrots, shredded
· 2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and minced
· 3 cloves Garlic, minced
· 1/2 cup Bulgur
· 2 T chili powder
· 1 T Cumin, ground
1 1 tsp Chipotle pepper, ground
· 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
· 1 10-oz can ROTEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
· ½ cup, Tomato sauce
· ¼ cup, Tomato paste
· 1 cup water
· 1 14-oz can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
· 1 14-oz can Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
·· ¼ cup Barbeque Sauce
Salt to taste
1. Cook the Bulgar according to package directions, and set aside to add at the end.
2. Add the oil to a soup pot over medium-low heat, and heat until shimmering. Add:
§ Onions, carrots and garlic until the onions saute until the onions are translucent. Do not burn your onions, turn down the heat if it's cooking too quickly.
3. Add the Chili powder, Chipotle powder and cumin and saute with the vegetables for 1 minute.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes, ROTEL’s, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water, stir until blended well.
5. Bring the mixture to a low simmer, and cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
6. Add the Black beans, Kidney beans and Barbeque sauce. Bring back to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Add the Bulgar and stir to combine throughout.
8. Adjust seasonings to taste, you may need to add salt. Add a little more water if it's too thick.
Serve hot –add ins are cheese and sour cream if you aren’t being vegan, corn chips, green onions, etc.