Vegan Cabbage Soup

So, my spouse and I started this 5-2 diet in January, that started over in England.  The gist is that you subsist for 2 days a weeks on 500 - 600 calories for the day.  Our "fast" days are on Monday and Thursday, because that works well for us both.  I am chief-cook in our marriage, so I thought it would be cool if we went essentially vegan two days a week. Baby-steps, right? The first week was the hardest, but it's gotten much easier every week.

Anyhoo...I have been looking for really hearty, but low calorie soup options. I used to love this soup that my Grandmother, we called her Dee-Mama, made back when I was a kid. It was hearty and  comforting.  Dee-Mama's was, most assuredly NOT vegan (I think it either had bacon or sausage in it). So, this is not a family recipe, but it's inspired by one.  This may be too spicy for you with the Chipotle pepper (from Penzey's, by the way), but adjust accordingly.



Vegan Cabbage Soup

In a large-ish stockpot heat:

1 - 2 tbls  olive oil

Saute for about 3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent:

1 large onion, chopped
1 red, yellow or orange pepper, chopped
3 or more cloves of garlic, diced or pressed (according to taste, I LOVE GARLIC)

Add, and saute for about 10 minutes, or until the cabbage is slightly wilted:
1 carrot, shredded on a box grater (I don't like carrots unless they are shredded...it's me, not carrots)
1 head of cabbage, shredded
1 tsp Spanish Smoked Paprika (mostly optional, it's really nice)
1 tps Chipotle Pepper (totally optional)
2 tsps salt, or more to taste (I used more like a tablespoon)

Add:
1 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes (I used Tuttorosso Crushed tomatoes with basil, I bought it at BJs Wholesale)
1 14-oz can of diced tomatoes (I used Hunts)
6 cups of vegetable broth or water (I used 6 cups of water, with 1 tbls. of vegetable broth concentrate)

Simmer for about an hour.  If you weren't fasting, this would go well served over some rice and with a crusty loaf.

Question for Vegans:  Would you do anything differently?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overnight Oats - Lighter 5:2 Version

Clark’s Turkey Bolognese Sauce in the Multicooker

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Stew